Monday, November 15, 2010

Iliana's birth

I have some stories to tell that I haven't done yet so I'll be trying to catch up, especially since I can't find my journal right now, so I'll have to treat this as my journal until I find it.

Iliana was born on Thursday, September 16, 2010. The night before I was craving donuts so bad. I was talking to my sister Melissa about it on Facebook, and she told me I should just go to the 24 hour donut place that was kind of far away. I decided just to go in the morning before Nolan went to work (since we only had one car). So at 5 in the morning (I told you I wanted them!) I got dressed and went. I came home and got Nolan up for work, and he said that he felt apprehensive for some reason, but I said that everything was fine, and that he needed to go to work. So he left and I stayed up and ate my donuts, and worked on some typing for Nolan's homework (he did all the work, I just happen to type faster than him). While I was typing I kept feeling like I needed to go to the bathroom, but then I couldn't go. This went on for a while, and it would come and go at regular intervals. Then I realized that I was probably in labor (This was around 7am). So I tried to wait the hour that they say to wait before you call or go to the hospital. In the meantime I called Nolan's mom, who was going to watch Oliver, and e-mailed Nolan, but told him not to come yet since I hadn't called the hospital. I tried calling my mom but couldn't get a hold of her. By 7:45 the contractions were less than 5 minutes apart so I called the hospital, and based on how I sounded on the phone they told me to come in. I e-mailed Nolan again and told him to come home fast and now! So I wondered around in between contractions making sure we had everything we needed for the hospital, each contraction feeling worse than the last. After over an hour Nolan and his mom both showed up at the same time. I had finally gotten a hold of my mom and let her know waht was going on. I told her to finish what she was doing since I figured I still had plenty of time (I had only been in labor for a couple of hours). By the time Nolan got home, however, the contractions were less than a minute apart, and I was feeling nauseous, and hot. Nolan got me to the car, then went back to get the bags and Oliver into his Mom's car. Then we were off, I knew in my head that if there was any traffic at all, I could possibly have this baby on the side of the road. So I had the cell phone close by ready to call 911 if needed. Luckily, there was no traffic at all for 9 in the morning on some major freeways on a Thursday morning. We got to the hospital in record time, the whole time I was telling NOlan all the things I wanted when we got there. I wanted drugs right away, and a wheel chair since there was no way I was walking. We drove up to the valet, demanded a wheel chair, left all bags in the car, and went running. We got to the emergency room entrance went in, where the receptionist pointed to the door we needed to go through (it was pretty obvious I was deep in to labor, screaming and everything) and yelled for someone to open it for us. Then we had to wait at the elevator, since labor and delivery is on the second floor. We got to the entrance where we had take the phone off the wall and be allowed in. I grabbed the phone, yelled "Mary storz" and the door immediately opened. We get to that desk where they try to ask the preliminary questions, but then realized it was too late. So one of the ladies said, "Get her to a room now!" We got to a room, I stood up and they said "We have to get this gown on you." So I stripped down right in the middle of the room in front of everyone and got the gown on and laid on the bed. I told them I wanted drugs as soon as possible but they said I had to be checked first. So they checked me and I was already at an 8 and my water hadn't even broken yet. They said an epidural wouldn't work and it was too late, so I asked for narcotics, and they tried to get that but they decided it would be better just to break my water and get the baby out. I told them to just give me a placebo and I would convince myself that it was really drugs, but they didn't go for that. So they broke my water, which pretty much put me at a 10, and I started pushing, and pushing. Oh, my gosh, it was agony! I was gripping whatever I could find, and screaming with each push. Finally (ok so it wasn't that long) Her head came out. Then they told me I had to push again to get the shoulders out, and I remember thinking to myself, "what? I didn't have to push to get Oliver's shoulders out!" So one more push and she was out, then I heard the words that it was a girl, and I thought, good, so I'm not crazy (I was pretty sure it was a girl but so many people made me doubt). Then cutting of the umbilical cord, which Nolan will not do, and then I had to push again for the placenta! I swear, once the baby is out, there should be no more pushing! They placed her on my chest, without cleaning her up at all, and I knew right then that I loved her so much! The first thing I said to her was "I love you already." So we began to make phone calls. My mom was in the parking lot when Iliana came out, so she was with us right away, but had missed the birth. The nurses took care of the all the post partum stuff, stitching, cleaning, pushing on my uterus, etc. Oh, the stitching hurt so much! And she took to nursing right away! The nurses were all impressed. My mom went and got us some food, because after all that I was starving! Nolan went and got the bags out of the car so we could finally take some proper pictures, and we signed the papers that you are supposed to sign BEFORE you have the baby. Her stats: 8lbs 8oz, 20 1/2 inches, Apgar scores of 9. Beautiful baby girl! We had some visitors in the evening; Melissa, Sarah, Daniel, and Ashley, and received baby girl clothes to take her home in. That night we just spent time together, and tried to sleep, but she would not let me! Finally at 3 am I called the nurse and asked them to take her to the nursery so I could get some sleep. So they did, and I finally got to sleep. they brought her back fast asleep. That next morning we just waited to go home. My parents both visited and we took some pictures of course. They checked to make sure, we were both ok. One nurse thought she heard a heart murmur, but then a pediatrician stopped by and didn't hear it. (that nurse was right by the way! In a major way) So we went home, and Nolan's parents brought Oliver home and they got to meet their new granddaughter, with more pictures of course! I love pictures. And we had more visitors throughout the day. That is not the end of the story however!To be continued...

2 comments: